Happy Friday, sweet gal! Do you have special plans for celebrating Independence Day this weekend? I thought you might could use a little July 4th style inspiration today as you think about what you will wear for your family cookout or other celebration. I realize many of the festivities we normally enjoy at this time may be cancelled or we may simply be opting to stay home. But it’s still a great day to wear a little red, white and/or blue in honor of our nation’s birthday.
And because Independence Day sales have already begun, I’m providing you links to all the SALES worth checking out, too.
Now all of the outfits I’m sharing are blasts from the past. While I’ll definitely link items that are available and even try to provide links to similar substitutes for those that are discontinued, the main purpose of this post is simply to help you pull together festive outfits from your own closet.
This post contains affiliate links. If you shop through them, I potentially earn a commission from any purchases, but at no additional cost to you. Thank you for shopping through my links and supporting my work.
Patriotic T-Shirt & Denim Shorts
Perhaps the most obvious choice for July 4th is a patriotic t-shirt and denim shorts or jeans. In fact, this is probably what I’ll be wearing.
My patriotic tee is no longer available, but I found this one that is very similar in navy. And while it’s obviously too late to order one of these in time for our nation’s birthday this year, I’ve gathered a few more in a shopping widget below.
In the photo below, also from the archives, I’m wearing a Life is Good t-shirt. These are some of my favorite, both for the quality of the shirt and the fun graphics and slogans they bear. You can find a full selection of Life is Good tees for women here.
Easy Breezy Dress
Another great option for July 4th or any time this holiday weekend is an easy breezy summer dress. I recently purchased this one from Talbots. And it’s really not especially patriotic. But you absolutely don’t have to wear red, white and blue to celebrate this historic day. The key is to wear something fun and festive and comfortable.
I’ve collected the most comfortable and pretty summer dresses I could find for you below. And most of these are on SALE!
Dressier Option with White Pants or Jeans
While this next look appears dressier, it’s really just as cool and comfortable as the previous outfits. And you could absolutely swap in white jeans or shorts in place of my white Hampshire ankle pants, which are a little dressy but still very comfortable.
By the way, these Hampshire ankle pants are marked down in Talbots Red Hanger Sale, but they go down to a ridiculous $28 if you buy them as one of three or more items in their buy more/save more deal.
To drive home the patriotic theme of this outfit, I chose to wear my Red, White, & Blossoms flip flops from Vera Bradley. In fact, all of the Red, White & Blossoms pattern collection is 30% off this weekend only. It definitely has a patriotic vibe, but there’s no need to restrict it to the 4th of July. This red, white and blue pattern is cheerful and appropriate all summer long.
White Shorts & Chambray
I think white and chambray or denim is a classic for the 4th of July. You’ll look chic and sophisticated but will still appear to be participating in the traditional “red, white and blue” trend.
The sleeveless light wash denim top I’m wearing above was from last year’s collection at Chico’s. But this year they’re offering an equally adorable loose fitting denim tank top. You have to check out this tank. I ordered mine! In fact, I’m providing you a shopping widget with my full order from Chico’s. Hahaha! I couldn’t decide which necklace to try with the denim tank top and camo shorts, so I ordered three! Hey, when the price is right… Oh, and remember, I got another 50% off the sale prices you see there with code 65843.
Here’s another chambray and white look from the archives. But I’ve given you available alternatives for everything in the outfit in the caption.
Pedal Pushers and T-Shirt
I know pedal pushers aren’t for everyone. And they’re not my choice for every event or situation. But y’all. These are fun pants. And Independence Day is all about fun. So I think red pedal pushers are a sweet option if you have some in your wardrobe…like I do.
I hope you received a little style inspiration from the looks I’ve shared. Of course, at this point in the game, the point is to find something you love from your own closet or dresser. But if you saw something you just love above, be sure to click through the links for full pricing and sizing information. So much of what I’ve shared with you above is on major sale.
Speaking of Sales!!!
The weekend sales have already begun. And, in fact, I’ve noticed that summer inventory is diminishing quickly as retailers are working to unload their goods in preparation for the next season. So prices have been cut deep. This weekend is probably the very best time to shop summer sales for items you’ll actually be able to wear and use both this season and next.
- Ann Taylor is celebrating right now with up to 80% off sale prices and 50% off full-price merchandise.
- Spend more/save more at Athleta. You’ll get to take off $25 from a purchase of $150+ or $50 from a purchase of $250 or more. Plus, you can stack those savings on top of markdowns.
- Banana Republic’s July 4th Event includes 40% off regular price items and an extra 50% off sale items.
- Get an extra 60% off select Belk exclusives and national brands. Or take an extra 40% off select national brands and an extra 20% off designer brands. You’ll find the coupons you need here.
- Boden, a British company, probably isn’t celebrating our independence, but they still have marked down a number of their summer styles. You’ll find women sales styles here.
- Cabana Life, which specializes in sun protective beach and swimwear, is offering you 25% off sitewide with code 4THOFJULY.
- Chico’s has much of its summer inventory marked down, but you’ll still get to take another 50% off sale and regular price items with code 65843.
- Christopher & Banks is giving you 40% off new arrivals and so much more.
- At Coldwater Creek you’ll save up to 80% off original prices sitewide.
- Get 25% off almost everything at Columbia sporting goods.
- As usual, Gap has a pile of sale deals, many of which you can stack. You’ll get up to 75% off everything. Take an extra 50% off markdowns with code PERK. And get an extra 10% off everything else with code TREAT.
- J.Crew is giving you 50% off full-price styles plus an amazing extra 70% off 3+ sale styles. Use code GOFOURTH.
- At J.Crew Factory get up to 70% off everything.
- Tote bag alert!!! Many of you have asked me about the canvas tote bag I’ve shared here a few times. It’s now available at JJill.com for FREE with a purchase of $175 or more (online only). Use code SUMMER30 to get 30% off all full price items. You’ll also get an extra 50% off select sale styles and an extra 40% off all other sale merchandise.
- At Lands’ End, take up to 60% off your order with code FLAG.
- Loft is giving you 70% off 4 + sale styles, 60% off 3 and 50% off your entire purchase with code HBDUSA.
- Macy’s is giving you 25-60% off select summer styles. But everyone also gets an extra 10, 15 or 20% off sale styles with code FOURTH.
- At Madewell you’ll get a list full of savings opportunities, including Whisper soft tees at 3/$45. Plus get an extra 30-50% off sale styles with code GIANT.
- Shop thousands of new markdowns in Nordstrom’s Summer Clearance section.
- At Shopbop take an extra 25% off select sale styles for up to 75% savings with code SUMMER. Sale ends July 4th.
- In Soma’s 4th of July Sale you’ll get up to 80% savings in already reduced styles.
- Shop Talbots’ sale pages here. You’ll get an extra 60% off 3 or more items, 50% off 2 or 40% off one. They also have significant savings on Summers’ Greatest Hits. Many of these savings are even better than those on the sale pages. Finally, save 40% on swimsuits and coverups. Oh, and Talbots credit cardholders save an additional 5% on Red Hanger Sale when using their card
- Target’s Summer Sale ends Saturday with women’s tees and tanks starting at $5.
- At Vera Bradley you’ll save 30% on all backpacks and travel. Also, save 30% on the entire Red, White & Blossoms collection. PLUS save up to 50% in their semi-annual 4th of July Summer Sale.
- Get up to 70% off in the July 4th Clearance Sale at Wayfair.
Don’t Miss a Thing:
I’d like to invite you to subscribe to my email list so that you’ll receive notifications about future posts. You can either receive a daily email or a weekly one…that’s up to you! But when you subscribe you’ll also be registered for the chance to win the $50 gift card to a favorite retailer that I give one lucky subscriber each month. You can learn more and join the Dressed for My Day community here.
Blessed for My Day
I’m sure most of us gals have lived long enough to know that the old adage, “Just follow your heart” is not sage advice after all. Right? Most of us would agree that our hearts are not reliable guides. Instead our hearts are fickle, fallible, faulty and frustrating.
But how many times each day do we indeed just give into our emotions? And that’s the same thing as following your heart. When we allow our emotions to call the shots – determining what we say, what we do next, how we process events or words – we are indeed following the faulty advice of our flawed hearts. Let’s remember instead to allow truth to guide us. Let’s allow God to examine our hearts and point out the error of our ways. And let’s tell our emotions that they may be big, but they are not the boss of us.
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve. ~ Jeremiah 17:9-10