Happy Monday, gals! This past weekend when James and I went to Tucson, we discovered it was also University of Arizona graduation weekend. In the past we’ve celebrated our own kids’ graduations from UofA, but I had lost track of time and had no idea cap and gown season was upon us. And that’s when it dawned on me that summer is fast approaching, too. So today I thought we’d talk about denim shorts for summer.
Do you like to wear denim shorts for summer? While I realize not all women our age feel comfortable wearing jean shorts, I still consider them a wardrobe essential for me. These are not the shorts I’d wear for nicer situations, but I gravitate toward them when I’m just hanging around the house for sure. And I’ll still wear them running errands, watching little league baseball games or going on a picnic with my family.
In fact, I’ll probably be styling these or other denim shorts in a variety of ways here on Dressed for My Day this summer. After all, they’re sort of the white t-shirt of shorts! Denim shorts are versatile, comfortable, classic and easy to wear.
Today I’m sharing them in their most basic form…with a simple solid t-shirt. And honestly, that’s how I prefer to pair my denim shorts most days.
These denim shorts are from Kut from the Kloth and feature a 4″ inseam and a frayed hem. Unfortunately, they’re about sold out at Nordstrom. But a wider selection of sizes is available here. But if you’d prefer longer or cuffed denim shorts you might want to check out this post from last summer. And I’ll include longer shorts in the shopping widget below.
Here are my tips for wearing denim shorts this summer:
- Always check out the rear view – Because denim shorts hug the body more closely than most other styles, it’s all the more important to check back pocket placement and size along with length. Your rump definitely should not “fall out of” your shorts.
- Check the leg opening – I don’t like my denim shorts or any other shorts to fit so snugly that my flesh bulges from the leg opening. Eww. There should either be a little space between the legs and the opening or the fabric should just graze the legs softly.
- Choose a length that fits your body type and variables. When in doubt, chose a longer jean short and you can cuff them to the desired length.
- Be careful of over-cuffing. When you roll up too much fabric you’ll create more visual width.
- I prefer denim shorts that truly feel like genuine denim, even if they actually have some stretch in them. Select a weight that provides some thickness without feeling hot or uncomfortable.
- Darker denim will look a little dressier and more slimming, while light washes will look more casual and could add visual weight.
In this post I’m sharing my denim and t-shirt look with both these Superga sneakers and some sweet pink sandals. I’m wearing these no-show socks under the sneakers. They’re made especially to stay in place and not slip.
I’m loving these sweet pale pink sandals. They fit a little snug between the toe strap and the back of the sandal, but I’m still wearing my normal size with no problem. And the soles of these sandals are amazingly cushioned. They’re also available in black and optic white.
I’ll be sharing more looks with denim shorts as the season goes on. And I’ll be sharing denim shorts of different lengths, too. What about you? Do you wear denim shorts? What length or style or color do you prefer?
Shop the Post:
You can shop the look through the links in the copy above or through the shopping widget below. Sale prices are not always reflected in the widget, so click through to get pricing info. Remember, if you purchase anything through these links I potentially earn a commission, but at no cost to you. Thank you for shopping through Dressed for My Day. I am grateful!
Don’t Miss a Post:
If you like what you’re seeing here at Dressed for My Day, I invite you to subscribe to my email list. You can receive an email each time I post (about 6 times weekly) or just on Saturdays. You choose! But you’ll also receive the password to open up all the subscriber freebies I offer.
Blessed for My Day
Does the description of the Proverbs 31 woman intimidate you? It’s not meant to. This 31st proverb is meant to inspire us and even celebrate us. The word “excellent” in verse 10 of this somewhat “infamous” proverb is better translated courageous. And the scriptures following it are a call for women to roll up our sleeves, step out in courage and conquer the demands of womanhood with integrity, valor and inner strength.
So who can find such a woman? My bet is you can. Tell us about a woman who inspires you today. Preferably, sing the praises of a woman that you know personally, intimately. Tell us how she has shown courage, strength and integrity in the demands of life. Name her. And tell us why her worth is far above jewels.
An excellent wife, who can find?
For her worth is far above jewels. ~ Proverbs 31:10