Welcome to Dressed for My Day. It’s been a while since we’ve talked at all about fitness here, so I thought today would be a good time to share why and how I move more throughout my days. Above and beyond cardio and weight training, just simple, consistent movement can make such a difference in our lives.
As I writer, I tend to be rather sedentary 9 to 5. And that’s not beneficial to my joints, my posture, my heart or my waistline. I also find that when I don’t move much throughout the day, even if I get a work out in during the morning, I end up not sleeping well at night.
But I’m blessed that I lived in a great climate for getting out and moving for the past 14 years. And now James and I live in an area we chose largely because of the opportunities for movement and exercise. We live within easy walking distance to a recreation center that also has a walking trail. And we live near quiet neighborhoods with sidewalks.
So I make a point of getting out and going for short walks each day. Sometimes I take a few short, 10 minute walks with my dog throughout the day. Other days I wait for James and we take a 30 minute walk after dinner.
On this particular day James and I walked the short distance to a neighborhood lending library that you’ll see further down the post. I had come across it a couple of days prior and had taken a book. So I wanted to contribute one, too.
10 Benefits of Moving More Throughout Your Day:
- improves your muscular/skeletal system – your muscles, joints and bones
- keeps your energy up throughout the day and renews energy when it’s lagging
- enables you to get vitamin D (if you’re moving outside)
- aids metabolism by keeping “your furnace” burning
- improves mood and disposition
- helps you to sleep better consistently
- burns calories and helps the calorie burn move into your fat stores
- it’s good for your heart
- reduces or helps you to handle stress
- lowers risk of osteoporosis, diabetes and other diseases
- enhances your immune system
- BONUS: If you move with your spouse or a friend, it provides social interaction.
This month in the FASTer Way to Fat Loss membership program our monthly challenge is to move more. Each month we have a new challenge to help us develop a fitness habit. In previous rounds we’ve had a booty challenge, an ab challenge and others. These challenges, plus the accountability provided in the FASTer Way to Fat Loss, really have helped me to stay focused and intentional about my fitness disciplines.
Simple Ways to Move More
- Take a morning and/or evening walk
- Park in a space far from your destination when out shopping or dining.
- Take short 5-10 minute walks throughout the day. Set a reminder on your phone.
- Walk around while you’re on the phone.
- Play an active game with your grandkids on the lawn.
- Walk to a nearby restaurant, library or store instead of driving.
- Do something to move around for 10 minutes for every 1 hour you sit. Set a reminder.
If you’re struggling with having the discipline to move more and sit less, you might want to check out FASTer Way to Fat Loss. I lost 20 pounds with this program about 18 months ago, and I’ve kept it off since then by doing life the FASTer Way. In fact, if you have any questions about it, please ask in the comments or email me. FWTFL is starting another round Monday, September 9, but you can get immediate access to all the goodies once you join. It’s such a worthy investment of your time, effort and money.
Considering FWTFL? Check out my post The FASTer Way to Fat Loss and the Older Woman.
Shop the Post:
You can shop the look through the links in the copy above or through the shopping widget below. Sale prices are not always reflected in the widget, so click through to get pricing info. Remember, if you purchase anything through these links I potentially earn a commission, but at no cost to you. Thank you for shopping through Dressed for My Day. I am grateful!
Like what you see?
If you enjoyed this post and gained anything from it, I hope you’ll take a moment to pin it to one of your Pinterest boards or share it on your Facebook feed. Look for the “share buttons” at the end of this post. I really appreciate it so much when you share Dressed for My Day with others.
Blessed for My Day
Don’t let these blog posts fool you. I, like most gals, struggle to stay as active as I should. I rarely feel like exercising. And honestly, I don’t enjoy doing it as much as I once did. But I do love the way I feel afterwards. Plus I’m grateful for the benefits I reap from staying active, like good sleep, a well-fueled metabolism, less achy joints and an improved emotional state.
But most importantly, I know that my body belongs to God. I have an obligation to maintain my health as much as possible so that I can serve Him better and more enthusiastically. Let’s commit today to treat our bodies like the temples they are. Let’s move more!
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. ~ 1 Corinthians 6:19-20