Now that we’re in full Christmas mode, let’s talk about using simple but elegant holiday fashion accessories to add a festive appeal to most every outfit. I’m sharing a classic winter skirt and sweater ensemble that I’ve made party ready with a Christmas silk scarf. But I also have more holiday fashion accessories to share with you.
Sometimes I hesitate to buy clothing or accessories that are holiday specific. I really don’t like having items in my wardrobe that I can only wear for a month or less. But I’ve learned a few tips that have helped me create a holiday accessory inventory that I enjoy and feel good about.
Holiday Fashion Accessory Tips
- Invest in holiday fashion accessory pieces that are classic, not too trendy.
- Look for items that can be worn throughout winter, and not just during or before Christmas.
- Don’t buy more than one (or two at the most) holiday item of any given accessory category, such as earrings, necklaces, handbags, scarves, etc.
- When you do invest in a holiday fashion accessory, wear it frequently and enjoy it! You can wear the same silk Christmas scarf with a solid dress, a white blouse, a cream colored v-neck sweater or a winter coat. Wear the living daylights out of it!!
- Launder or care for your holiday fashion accessories at the end of the season so you can use them again next year.
I chose this particular silk Christmas scarf because it is classic and elegant. I have a fun cotton one from a few years ago that I still pull out each season. But this is the first silk, dressy one I’ve owned. I think I’ll enjoy it for years to come.
You can achieve the same effect by adding a sparkly Christmas brooch to your jacket lapel or a velvet skinny belt in a holiday shade to your jeans. Or you could make your jeans and sweater ensemble more festive with some holiday inspired earrings or a rhinestone filled necklace. And, if you choose wisely, you can even add shoes or a clutch in a classic holiday plaid to your wardrobe.
Holiday fashion accessories also make great gifts. After all, one of the qualities of a great gift is often that it’s something you love but wouldn’t buy for yourself. This might be a good Christmas to surprise a friend, Secret Santa or family member with a holiday fashion accessory that she can enjoy for years to come. And I bet she’ll think of you every time she wears it, too.
Shop This Look:
Much of this look is still marked down considerably. Ann Taylor has continued their Cyber Monday sale through Tuesday due to system failures on Monday. Talbots is giving us 30% off our entire purchase through December 9th (use code HOLIDAY) and 50% off markdowns (just Tuesday). And my boots…they’re buy one/get one free!!!
I’ve rounded up some other beautiful, classic holiday fashion accessories for you to check out. I think any of these would make a nice contribution to your holiday apparel, and you’d be able to wear them year after year. But remember, these make great gifts, too.
The items in my collection hit every price point, but I found a slew of beautiful holiday accessories at Kohl’s. You can look at four pages worth of holiday jewelry here.
Starting with the elegant handbag in the top left corner and working around the graphic clockwise:
(with any luck some of these items may still be on sale!!)
- You’ll find this Velvet Zip Pouch in ruby shadow at Loft. You could definitely carry this gorgeous bag past Christmas.
- This Penguin Brooch is cute, classy and beautiful – all at the same time. And I love the little blue eye on this darling, sparkly guy!
- I really like J.Jill jewelry, and this Falling Snowflake necklace is one you could wear throughout the winter. I like that it’s both silver and gold.
- This Poinsettia Pin is definitely iconic Christmas. And it’s so very elegant. Wear it on your blazer lapel, your coat, or even a sweater. A lovely gift for a classy lady.
- You’ll enjoy this Holiday Plaid Scarf from Lands’ End year after year, but no one will complain if you wear it past Christmas.
- You just gotta love this white and sterling silver Polar Bear Brooch. Again, look at those sweet blue eyes!! And this Christmas pin doesn’t limit you to red and green.
- It’ll be fun carrying this Flannel Crossbody Bag in Tartan Plaid with your skirt, dress or blue jeans outfit.
- Here’s my favorite. I love, love, love this Holiday Floral Scarf. This one isn’t silk, so it would look lovely with jeans and a simple sweater. Or you can wear it with your winter coat.
- A few years ago I bought a silver snowflake necklace similar to this one, but mine is long. I wear it constantly throughout the winter.
- Here’s the Holly Berry Plaid Silk Scarf I’m wearing. I just wanted you to see it laid out flat. I have it doubled around my neck, so you can easily wear it long or short.
- I added similar Silver Snowflake Earrings to my holiday accessory collection about five years ago, and they are some of my all-time favorites. I wear them through February.
- Again, this Red Velvet Small Trouser Belt isn’t just for Christmas. But it will definitely add holiday flair to your outfit.
- Yep. This Holiday Starburst Collection bracelet would definitely become a favorite and you’d look forward to wearing it each Christmas…or beyond!
Do you like to wear holiday fashion accessories? What pieces do you enjoy pulling out year after year? I’d love to hear from you.
I did use affiliate links in this post, so if you buy anything through them I will potentially earn a commission. I appreciate you supporting my work here that way. Thank you.
I’ve linked today’s post with Jo-Lynne Shane’s Fashion Friday Link-Up. Be sure to check out some of the other great style ideas there.
Now, whether you’re wearing holiday accessories or not, let’s go out and shine today, ladies!
Blessed for My Day
I’m watching a lot of Hallmark Christmas movies right now. It’s what I do! But, while I love the simplicity and general merriment of these tame movies, I have noticed one glaring flaw. Many of them espouse “following your heart.” In fact, that’s a common mantra in our world today. “Just follow your heart and everything will turn out right.” Hmm. That sounds good and sweet. But it’s based on a fallacy. You see, the Bible teaches us that our hearts are actually quite deceitful and twisted. And, I have to admit, I’ve found that to be true of my own heart. Why is that? Because my heart always looks out for me and takes the path of least resistance. My heart is, sure enough, full of romantic notions. But those notions are rarely based on truth or holiness.
Instead of following my heart I’m wise to follow God’s heart. His heart is indeed good and full of true love. But it also insists on truth and righteousness and holiness. He is truly for me, and He knows what is best for me…even if it’s not expedient or comfortable. So this Christmas let’s enjoy the simple (and sometimes silly) plot lines of those Hallmark movies, but let’s remember to follow the heart of God when it’s time to make a decision.
The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; who can understand it? ~ Jeremiah 17:9