I thought I had my skincare routine down pat…until I learned that I was missing this crucial element. It turns out that we ALL need to be using a face oil as part of our skincare regimen, especially or at least at night. Here’s why…
This post contains affiliate links. When you shop through my links I potentially earn a commission on your purchases, but at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for supporting my work here by shopping my links.
I know I’d heard of face oils before, and maybe you have, too. But I guess I had brushed them aside assuming that surely I didn’t need to add oil to my skin. For so many years we were encouraged to seek oil-free makeups, cleansers and other products. But it turns out that every skin type can benefit greatly from low-comedogenic oils, which simply means those that do not clog pores. Good skin oils help to balance the natural oil ratios that healthy skin needs to flourish.
I received the Colleen Rothschild Beauty Face Oil No. 9 at LTKCon this September, and I’ve been using it faithfully for the past few months as part of my evening skincare routine. I can’t even begin to express to you the difference it has made in my skin’s health. I don’t have the dry patches I once had on my chin and temples, but my skin also just feels so much healthier and looks more radiant.
There’s good reason for that change in my skin. And if you haven’t been using skin oil, you could see a dramatic difference in your skin with the addition of one of these oils to your routine.
- Facial oils do not help moisturize your face. But they do help seal in moisture and hydration.
- We all need hydrated skin. Even if you have oily skin, your skin needs hydration – water – to thrive. Facial oils can help keep the hydration level of your skin balanced, whereas the other products you’re using on your oily skin may be stripping it of that much needed hydration. So even oily skin can benefit from the right facial oil.
- Facial oils are not a replacement for your moisturizer or skin serums. A good moisturizer will add absorbent oils to your skin as well as hydration. A good serum provides your skin with vitamins and other active ingredients that address your skin’s unique needs such as aging, pollution, blemishes or irritations. But those (often expensive) products will not stay in your skin and do what you are paying for them to do if they evaporate from your pores overnight. A good facial oil provides a barrier that keeps those ingredients from evaporating, allowing ample time for your skin to soak them up overnight so that they can work effectively.
- For oily skin, it’s especially important to choose a facial oil that contains oils that are less comedogenic, so select oils with a smaller molecule size.
- When a facial oil also contains antioxidants it will help combat signs of aging. Antioxidants fight off the free radical damage that breaks down the skin, causing wrinkles, pigmentation and other aging concerns.
- And facial oils that contain seaweed will provide additional benefits. Seaweed regulates oil production, exfoliates, brightens, and moisturizes dry, dull skin.
Can facial oils clog pores? Not if you use good ones. But it’s also important to regularly exfoliate your skin. If dry, dead skin builds up, the addition of a facial oil will simply cause congestion in the pores. So be sure to exfoliate your skin regularly, too. I use the Colleen Rothschild Glycolic Acid Peel Pads with Blue Agave once or twice a week for exfoliation. This is an extremely important step in your skincare, but all the more so if you plan to add a beneficial facial oil to your regimen.
Here are some oils and added ingredients to look for in a face oil that will address specific concerns.
- Chamomile and lavender will help reduce irritation and are gentle on the skin.
- Jojoba and tea tree oils help control and reduce acne-causing bacteria.
- Rosehip and olive oils are rich in nutrients and can help prevent signs of premature aging.
- Coconut and rosehip oils can help with skin conditions such as eczema and scaliness.
- Marula oil is quickly absorbed due and has a non-greasy texture, so it is ideal for combination skin.
I like the Colleen Rothschild Beauty Face Oil No. 9 because it contains black seed oil, which provides antioxidant protection, moringa oil, which restores luminosity, marula oil as well as omega 3, 6 and 9 for moisture. But I’ve gathered many other highly recommended facial oils in a shopping widget below. Keep reading!
How Should You Apply a Face Oil?
I apply the Colleen Rothschild Beauty Face Oil No. 9 only at night, but some people do use their facial oils in their morning routine, too. But for now I’m sticking with evening use only. Here’s the order of my evening skincare routine in brief.
- remove eye makeup with micellar cleansing water
- cleanse face with pro-collagen cleansing balm
- pat on vitamin c + e ferulic acid serum
- pat on night repair serum
- pat on night repair eye gel
- gently rub in pro-collagen night cream
- gently press in Colleen Rothschild Beauty Face Oil No. 9
I allow a minute or two between each application.
To apply your facial oil, squirt a drop or two or three onto your palm. Then rub your palms together vigorously to warm the oil.
Then gently pat the oil onto your face, neck and décolleté. I pat any remaining oil onto the backs of my hands.
When I finish my nighttime routine my face does look very shiny and a little oily. But the face oil absorbs fairly quickly and I never get oil on my pillow cases. When I awaken in the morning, my face still feels soft and moisturized. This is when I can most tell a difference in the condition of my skin. I use to wake up to dry, parched skin, even though I was using high quality moisturizers in the morning and night.
I’ve gathered a collection of highly recommended facial oils for you to check out below. All of these were individually recommended by magazine or other review panels who tried a variety of oils and rated them. You’ll also find oils at a full range of prices, from less than $10 to well over $100. Check out their claims and look for oils that address the skincare concerns you have. We all need to shop for skincare according to our unique concerns. But it does turn out that we can all benefit from the right facial oil.
And by the way, I did notice that Colleen Rothschild is offering Buy One Get One 50% Off on items of equal or lesser value with code NEW23.
Thanks so much for dropping in today. I hope you learned a little something. I know this has definitely been a learning process for me, and I’m so glad I learned about facial oils. The Colleen Rothschild Beauty Face Oil No. 9 has made a huge difference in the health and appearance of my skin. Let me know if you have any questions.
Don’t Miss a Post:
If you like what you’re seeing here at Dressed for My Day, I invite you to subscribe to my email list. You can receive an email each time I post (about 6 times weekly) or just on Saturdays. You choose! But you’ll also receive the password to open up all the subscriber freebies I offer.
Blessed for My Day
Isn’t it amazing that God is so generous and creatively lavishes us with every good thing? Or maybe it’s not amazing at all. Maybe that’s just who our God is. He anticipates our every need. But should we really be surprised? He is our Creator after all. And He is an involved Creator, not one who has stepped away with disinterest. He continues to be involved in the lives of His creation and to direct our paths.
Notice in Psalm 104 that the Psalmist praises God because He provides the “oil to make his face shine.” Isn’t that lovely? We may be all smart and concoct wonderful facial moisturizers and serums. But God has actually already provided even what we need to maintain youthful skin. He has provided oil for our faces. I just think that’s beautiful. He thinks of everything, doesn’t He?
You cause the grass to grow for the livestock
and plants for man to cultivate,
that he may bring forth food from the earth
and wine to gladden the heart of man,
oil to make his face shine
and bread to strengthen man’s heart. ~ Psalm 104:14-15
9 thoughts on “FACE OIL – The Crucial Skincare Element Many Women are Missing”
I gave been using facial oil for a little while and i do see a difference in my skin!!
Thank you for your post!!
I use a facial oil at night also, however, I’ve been applying it before the moisturizer. Is it still effective this way?
I read one article that suggested using the facial oil before the moisturizer to “make the skin ready for the moisturizer.” But all the others suggested you use it last to “seal in” the benefits of your serum and/or moisturizer. You might try it this way and see what you think. But if you feel like it’s working for you, that’s all that really matters.
Kay, I love your posts. You are so helpful in so many ways and I especially loved Blessed for my day. But when it comes to skin care, you have used and endorsed so many different brands and products over the last couple of years that I’m left with nothing but confusion. Sigh…….🥴
Hi Bobbie, I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve never shared a facial oil before, but this one has made a real difference for me. And as I’ve explained before, part of my job here is indeed trying new products and new brands. I’ve kept my own routine pretty much the same, however, for the past couple of years. And, as I shared in last week’s Best Beauty Buys of 2022 post, I still stand by any products I’ve shared in the past. None of those were bad or inferior. But I do like to try new products when they are offered to me, as this oil was. I’ve already placed my order (with my own money) to replenish this particular oil.
Thank you for this post. I do use oil at night, living in our cold climate here in Canada my skin was crying out for something. It turned out, it was skin oil! I have combination skin, my cheeks, chin and forehead were so dry but the oil took care of it. Have a wonderful week and belated Happy Anniversary. Blessings Kay 🙏
This post on face oil is so timely for me! I’ve been curious so can’t wait to narrow one down. I’d love to see you do the the same for a Vitamin C serum/spot lightener also— great info. Thanks so much, it sure helps in the confusing vastness of skin products 😊
Thanks so much for all the things you try, share the review and leave it to us to decide what may work for us. I wouldn’t even know about oils if you didn’t share and I really appreciate it. You have such a lovely fireside chat (so to speak) w us! I’m heading on a little winter get away and thanks to you… my wardrobe is looking pretty good and it was easy w your help!, As always, I am filled w gratitude for all the tips you share!
That’s so lovely, Nova. Thank you so much for your kindness and encouragement. I hope you have a lovely trip! 🥰