Happy Friday, sweet gal! Today I am here to solve one of your biggest problems…she said, tongue in cheek. Recently my husband passed on to me an article he had read from Fox News stating that choosing what to wear out to eat is actually stressing out half of America.
Here’s an excerpt from the article my husband passed on to me:
While going out to eat might seem like a simple way to enjoy a great meal with good company, a new study reveals that the entire dining out process, from choosing where to eat and what to wear, is actually quite stressful.
A poll of 2,000 Americans, conducted by OnePoll on behalf of personal styling service Trunk Club, discovered that 65 percent of those surveyed felt overwhelmed when choosing what outfit to wear to a restaurant. Additionally, a third of those studied believed that choosing what to wear is more difficult than deciding where to eat.”( By Zoya Gervis at FoxNews.com)
Gervis goes on to say that most Americans waste a lot of time staring into their closets full of clothes trying to figure out what to wear, many trying on over half of the contents in an effort to put together a stylish outfit for a simple lunch or dinner out. I’ve been there. What about you?
So what exactly is the struggle about?
- Some are concerned about spilling something on their clothing, so they choose accordingly. In fact, I have a friend who wears a particular pair of old jeans every time she goes to a movie for that very reason.
- Thirty-three percent of those surveyed feel like their friends are more stylish than they are and want to choose something to look on par.
- And 30% don’t really like anything in their closets to begin with.
In fact, about 25% of the people surveyed admitted to passing on invitations out because they couldn’t figure out what to wear. Gals! Surely that’s not us!
I’ll admit, some nights I’m just so grateful to go out to eat that I don’t even care what I wear. Ha! But often I do like to put a little extra thought into what I’m wearing to a restaurant. In fact, going out to eat is a good reason for me to wear something beyond leggings and a sweat shirt!
So I’ve put a little thought into this conundrum and come up with a few tips for choosing what to wear out to eat (if you need them).
- Steer clear of clothing that will get in the way of eating – neck scarves, bell sleeves, tie necks, etc.
- Wear a pretty color near your face since your dinner partners will be seeing you from the chest up most of the evening.
- Wear or carry along a jacket or cardigan that is optional to your outfit so you can adjust according to the temperature of your environment.
- Wear something that is both comfortable and flattering, but gone are the days when you need to dress to the nines for a casual lunch or dinner out.
- Add pretty earrings for some sparkle around your face.
- As a rule of thumb, it’s actually better to be a little under-dressed rather than over-dressed, but in a sophisticated, put together sort of way. To achieve that balance, wear something simple and understated and then add a structured top piece such as a blazer.
- Whatever you wear, put it on and forget about it! Going out to eat ceases being about what you’re wearing and becomes more about engaging around the table the minute you leave your dressing area. Put on a smile and focus on enjoying the food and your companions above all else.
Shop the Look:
You can shop the look through the links in the copy above or through the shopping widget below. Sale prices are not always reflected in the widget, so click through to get pricing info. Remember, if you purchase anything through these links I potentially earn a commission, but at no cost to you. Thank you for shopping through Dressed for My Day. I am grateful!
Save + Share
If you enjoyed today’s post, I hope you’ll save it to one of your Pinterest boards. Oh, and share it with your friends on Facebook, too. I love it when new readers find Dressed for My Day because you’ve shared what you found! You’ll find share buttons just below the scripture in the Blessed for My Day portion of the post.
Don’t Miss a Post:
If you like what you’re seeing here at Dressed for My Day, I invite you to subscribe to my email list. You can receive an email each time I post (about 6 times weekly) or just on Saturdays. You choose! But you’ll also receive the password to open up all the subscriber freebies I offer. AND you’ll be registered for my monthly drawing for a $50 gift card to a favorite retailer. Learn more and subscribe here.
Blessed for My Day
I have a relationship with the God of this universe, the Creator of my being and my soul. That amazes me! If I slow down my activity and calm the emotions that stir in my heart, I can actually feel His presence. And if I shut out the voices of the world and open the pages of His Word, I can actually hear His voice speak to me.
More amazingly, when I do feel His presence and hear His voice, God is loving and kind and gracious to me. While He often points out the err of my ways or convicts my heart of faulty motives, He is always patient and gentle and for me, not against me. How can this be? The only reason I can have this amazing relationship with the Creator God is because His Son, Jesus, paid the price for my sins and brought me into a right relationship with our Holy God. Today, let’s be thankful for the price Jesus paid on our behalf.
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit. ~ 1 Peter 3:18