Hi gals, and happy Monday. On the heels of this weekend’s post with my reader survey results I thought I would share with you why I shop one store the most. And if you’ve been around Dressed for My Day long you probably know what store that is.
But this post is not so much a plug for that particular store. I just want you to know why I have a favorite store…and why you need one, too.
By the way, you can rest assured that I will continue to feature fashions from a full range of retailers. The survey clued me in even more as to where you gals shop, and I’ve got you covered!
Last week I received an email from Kelly inviting me to come in for a special day of shopping. Kelly is the sales manager at my Talbots in Tucson. I’ve simply become familiar with her over time as I’ve dropped into the store to see what’s on the racks. Our relationship has nothing to do with me being a style blogger. It has everything to do with me being a consistent customer.
Kelly shared with me that Talbots would be having a sale just for its Classic Awards members January 30 through February 6. She asked me if she could pull some styles for me and have them waiting for me in a fitting room at a particular time and date of my choice. Oh, and was there a beverage I’d like to have waiting for me, too? Uh, yes!! I like being treated like a princess, thank you.
My Shopping Day at Talbots
When I arrived last Friday, Kelly had all the items I’d asked for plus a few completer pieces waiting for me in a fitting room. She also had a bottled water and the Diet Coke I had requested. (Like I said, princess, y’all.)
Kelly brought me other sizes, items and colors as needed. She wasn’t pushy at all and I never felt pressured to buy anything. But with the deals I could get that day, I definitely went home with a few things. And Kelly ordered what I couldn’t find in the store that day and had them shipped free to my home.
- 25% off full price items
- 3x the points you normally earn (they vary depending on your level)
- 100 bonus points just for making a purchase
- 60% off markdowns
- 15% off your full purchase if you’re new to Classic Awards
Plus February is my birthday month, so sometime during the month I get to have an extra 15% off shopping day. Of course, I chose Friday!
Why I have a favorite store
I just shared this little story to illustrate why it’s beneficial to have a favorite store.
- customer loyalty program – Most every retailer out there has some sort of customer loyalty program. And if you shop that store frequently enough, participation in that program can pay huge dividends. On the other hand, if you just shop all over the place you’ll never accumulate enough points anywhere to make a dent.
- customer service – The more you shop a store, the more likely you are to build a relationship with the sales staff. And that relationship can work for you.
- fit is foundational – When you find a store where the clothes consistently fit you…you’ve found a blessing! Can I get an amen? Every design brand uses a real woman as their fit model when designing clothes. If they have several “fits” of pants, they have several fit models. (I think one of Talbots’ fit models must be my body twin!)
- style – When you find a store whose fashions resonate with your personal style, that’s your sweet spot.
- credit “cardma” – Okay, I don’t really believe in karma, but I couldn’t resist the play on words. The truth is that taking out a credit card at your favorite store can save you so much money if you consistently and monthly pay it off, which I do. Usually, with a store credit card, you can expect free shipping, faster point accrual and special shopping days. Some stores, such as J.Jill even give you an extra savings on every single purchase.
- birthday bonus – Most stores have birthday bonuses, but you’ll lose money if you shop all of them. Instead, I use my budgeted shopping dollars to take full advantage of my favorite store’s birthday bonus.
- online flash sales – You probably don’t want to receive emails from all the stores. Because it’s my job to keep up with sales, I do get all the emails and some stores send 2, 3, 4 or 5 a day! That’s too many. But I suggest you definitely subscribe to the email alerts from your favorite retailer. These days they often notify you of significant online flash sales. (For instance, Ann Taylor is having an online only flash sale RIGHT NOW (Monday) where full price styles are 50% off with code GAMEON.)
- annual sale calendar – Certain stores have specific sales throughout the year at designated times. While it’s too much to try to keep up with all of the sales at all of the stores, with time you’ll learn your favorite store’s marketing scheme and be able to anticipate the best sales.
Look, I shop plenty through other retailers, too, especially for the blog. But I do focus on Talbots for my personal wardrobe for all the reasons I shared above. While I believe Talbots has beautiful, well-made, classic fashions, I’m not necessarily recruiting you to their Classic Awards program.
But I do encourage you to choose the retailer that works best for you and determine to be a loyal customer. When you find a store where the clothes generally fit (especially the pants and jeans), the style resonates with your personal style and the prices fit within your budget (as long as you shop strategically), then that’s the store to build a relationship with.
What I found at Talbots
Of course I’m still going to share with you what I found at Talbots Friday. I won’t necessarily keep all of these, but I do love them. They’re “simmering” in my blog closet right now!
For this try-on session let me remind you that I’m 5’8″, weigh 148 lbs., am equally proportioned and generally wear 8 in pants and 6 in jeans. I wear both small and medium tops, depending on the shoulders and sleeves. The shoes I’m wearing are several years old and no longer available.
I love the way these girlfriend chinos fit, and the rose quartz is a soft, pretty pink. You can wear the pants cuffed or not. They have a relaxed fit and sit slightly below the waist. I have the 8, which is my normal size in pants.
The navy and white stripe bateau-neck tee will be a staple in my wardrobe this spring. I’m using navy as my primary neutral for spring and summer, and building around that.
I also bought the girlfriend chinos in white because they fit so well. By the way, these pants also come in petite and woman sizes at the same link address.
This geo print button up shirt is soft, lightweight and a great layering piece. It will also work nicely with the pink pants. This shirt is also available in petite and woman sizes. I’m wearing the regular 8.
This photo is actually from a previous visit to Talbots, but I did buy the pieces Friday. While these Chatham ankle pants fit me in the regular size 8, I felt like they may be a little to close to the skin in the rear. You know, that’s often the case with white pants. So I had Kelly order me the curvy fit. She ordered the 6 curvy, so we’ll see how that works.
I got the medium multi dot shell, although the small probably would have worked, but they didn’t have one.
And I got the Aberdeen knit blazer in an 8, so I’d go with the lower of the two sizes if, like me, you’re kind of between two.
My husband actually got me this shirt for Christmas. But since it’s available right now and also “simmering” in my blog closet, I thought I’d show it to you. I have it in a size 10, but could probably wear the 8 just fine.
I’ve been wanting a crisp cotton button up shirt for some time. I look forward to wearing it with both dress pants and jeans, layered under blazers or cardigans. This button up shirt is lightweight and very soft. But you’re guaranteed not to need to iron it. Fingers crossed!
I’m wearing an 8. It’s also available in petite and woman sizes. And it comes in the rose quartz and cactus rose (dark coral).
I’m collecting navy blazers right now in search of the perfect one within my price range. So I’m not at all sure I’m keeping this one, but I thought I’d share it with you. It’s extremely comfortable, but I’m not sure I want the faux collar. I’m wearing the 8 and it fits true to size.
Well that’s a wrap. In fact, Kelly wrapped my clothes up in this nifty hanging bag and sent me on my way with over $100 worth of Classic Awards points credited to my account for future use.
By the way you can join Classic Awards today and get an additional 15% off your purchase, on top of the 25% off you’ll get for being a Classic Awards member. Sweet! The deal lasts through Wednesday, but Talbots has promised additional surprise deals for CA members throughout the month.
And if you’re already a Classic Awards member, use the code CA25 when you get to the register.
Do you have a favorite store?
If you have a favorite store like I do – one where you participate in the loyalty program, have found great fit and style and have developed a relationship with the sales team – let me and the rest of the Dressed for My Day community know. Tell us why it’s your favorite, too!
Shop the Post:
You can shop the look through the links in the copy above or through the shopping widget below. Sale prices are not always reflected in the widget, so click through to get pricing info. Remember, if you purchase anything through these links I potentially earn a commission, but at no cost to you. Thank you for shopping through Dressed for My Day. I am grateful!
Don’t Miss a Post:
If you like what you’re seeing here at Dressed for My Day, I invite you to subscribe to my email list. You can receive an email each time I post (about 6 times weekly) or just on Saturdays. You choose! But you’ll also receive the password to open up all the subscriber freebies I offer.
Blessed for My Day
Do you experience moments of anxiety? So many of us women do. I think that’s largely because we feel like we carry the weight of the world on our shoulders. But Philippians 4:5b reminds us that we are not alone. The Lord is near.
And, in fact, we do not carry the weight of the world on our shoulders. We can’t fix things for our kids, change our husbands, heal our parents, manage everything at work or keep the peace in the family. We are totally insufficient for those tasks. But God is not. He is able and He is near. Today let’s cling to that truth when moments of anxiety try to rob our joy and peace.
The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. ~ Philippians 4:5b-6