Hello, and welcome to Dressed for My Day. Can you believe it’s almost time for Mother’s Day? Yep! We’ll have the opportunity to celebrate our moms on Sunday, May 12th. And it will be here before we know it.
I realize that many of my readers – older, as we are! – may no longer have your moms with you. And so this particular “Hallmark” day may be a little sorrowful for you. Especially if you have just recently lost your mom to death, Mother’s Day may be bittersweet. My prayer is that God may give you sweet memories to celebrate on this day, and that you may be able to shower blessings on other moms who are significant to you – a mother-in-law, daughter or daughter-in-law, stepmom, aunt or dear friend.
And as you scour this gift list, don’t forget about yourself. If you’re a mom you might want to email or text a link to this post to your hubby or kids. No harm there!
In fact, the reason I’ve called this post “Kay’s Mother’s Day Gift Guide” is because there’s not an item on this list I would mind receiving. These are handpicked by a mom: me!
And yes, these gifts are selected with the older mom in mind. They’re perfect for women in their 50s and up. That’s you, me and our mothers!
Sweet & Pretty Gifts for Mother’s Day
- I love a small dinner of cheese and other antipasto delicacies, so this cheeseboard gift set would be well received here.
- And I’m definitely a girl who still loves to receive fresh flowers. That’s what I sometimes send my mom, too.
- For the mother who sips tea regularly, I think this tea chest gift set is a gracious and thoughtful gift. It contains 80 tea bags and 20 honey sticks. Sweet!
- One year a sweet friend sent me these chocolate covered strawberries for my birthday. I loved that gift!
- If you’re not quite sure what to get mom – and she loves to shop anyhow!!! – why not send her this sweet, boxed mother’s day gift card to Amazon.com?
- There’s just something about receiving a basket full of treats and fruit that makes me feel oh, so special!
Jewelry Gifts for Mother’s Day
- I tried to select jewelry that looks expensive and is good quality, but that won’t break the bank. This dainty birthstone bracelet looks modern but a little old fashioned, too.
- Who doesn’t love a solid gold bangle? Of course, this one is only 12 karat gold plated, but it looks elegant and chic.
- Signs of the sky are trending in jewelry right now, so your mother could wear this pretty star bracelet and feel like a rock star!
- These gemstone bracelets are so youthful. Buy several and she (or you!) can stack them.
- If the special mom in your life has a special event coming up – think family wedding, retirement party, anniversary celebration – she will love wearing these dazzling earrings.
- And when that special lady goes on the road with her jewelry, she’ll love having this compartmentalized travel bag for her baubles. (If my kids are reading this post, this is a personal favorite. Hint, hint.)
Fashions & Scents for Mother’s Day
- I have “a thing” for Kate Spade scarves! If the mom in your life does, too, she’ll love this floral dots square scarf for the spring and summer.
- Or if you mom, like mine, tends to get a little chilled in restaurants or church, she may enjoy having this pretty pastel striped wrap. It comes in four patterns and shades.
- My mother and I both have a thing for straw bags. I just remember her having one most summers as I grew up, so I feel like summer calls for a straw bag! I think this straw bag fits the bill and it’s reasonably priced.
- Or if you prefer a leather tote, I think this faux leather bag has beautiful lines and detailing. It comes in three pretty shades, but my favorite is this cream combo.
- My kids and husband gave me this La vie est Belle perfume for my birthday (at my request), and I’m loving it. I had been wearing the same scent for years and felt it was time for a change. I got so many compliments on my new scent at church this past week.
- My mom always reaches for her robe when she rises in the mornings, even through the summer. The special mom in your life might like this kimono robe.
Gifts to Go, Go, Go for Mother’s Day
- I’ve had my SPIbelt for years, and I wear it almost everytime I run or walk. It’s just big enough to hold either my phone, id and key. It fits close to the body and you never know you’re wearing it when exercising.
- Whether the mom you’re gifting hikes or not, she might enjoy these trekking poles. I see people using them to walk on the beach or even down the street. They provide extra support and coordination. But I do use mine for hiking.
- This gardening set includes 8 heavy duty tools, a pretty bag, a spray bottle and gardening gloves.
- I bought my mom these exact gardening clogs a few years ago, and she still slips them on most every day as she goes out to water her flowers and vegetable garden.
- Whether you want to help your mom take that trip to California wine country with her friends or you want to bring her out your way for a visit, she’ll appreciate this Southwest Airlines gift card.
- And she’ll appreciate these pretty and useful packing cubes when it comes time to pack her suitcase. (Note to Daniel, Abby and James: Here’s another personal favorite!!)
Little Luxury Gifts for Mother’s Day
- Yes, an iRobot Roomba 690 is definitely a pricier gift, but hey, I don’t know what you may be looking for. If you are your siblings are pooling funds to get something your mother will appreciate, you can’t go wrong with this programmable robotic vacuum.
- Maybe the mother you’re celebrating would appreciate a Nespresso coffee and espresso machine. I know I would!
- This hand-crank pasta machine is not as pricey as you might think. And for the cook who craves adventure and authenticity, this sweet Italian made tool would be the bomb.
- For the woman who loves to read, this new Kindle would make a sweet and thoughtful gift. I can’t believe how much these handy readers have gone down in price!!
- I think my mom received one of these Ninja personal shake makers a few years ago, and she uses it often. Especially in the summer, she likes to make smoothies with it.
- For the romantic who still likes to watch the sunset with her honey over a bottle of wine, this deluxe insulated wine tote would be incentive to take the evening show on the road.
Shop the Gift Guide
And that’s my list! Did you find something for the mom you’re celebrating? Or maybe you found a treat or two for yourself. Of course, all of these items make great gifts for any occasion – birthday, anniversary, retirement, etc.
Let me know if you have any questions. I’m personally familiar with most, but not all, of these items. You can shop through the links above or through the shopping widget below.
Don’t Miss a Post:
If you like what you’re seeing here at Dressed for My Day, I invite you to subscribe to my email list. You can receive an email each time I post (about 6 times weekly) or just on Saturdays. You choose! But you’ll also receive the password to open up all the subscriber freebies I offer.
Blessed for My Day
Many of my readers are in the stage of life where you are taking care of your parents. Thankfully, my parents are still doing well and able to enjoy life fully, so I’ve not been where you are yet. I can only imagine the mixed feelings you may have in this season of role reversal.
Today I want to encourage you to press on, be courageous and lean into Jesus, the one who knows fully what you are experiencing. When you are tired, He will give you rest. If you are anxious, He can give you peace. When you feel alone, He is there. And when you feel overwhelmed, He will ease your burden. Plus, He knows personally the emotional heaviness you bear.
But standing by the cross of Jesus were His mother, and His mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus then saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to His mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” Then He said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” From that hour the disciple took her into his own household. ~ John 19:25b-27