Hello, and welcome to Dressed for My Day. Today we’re going down under! That is, we’re talking undergarments. With a change in seasons I find that I need to plunder through my lingerie drawer and make some updates. Not only do I need to check my undies for wear and tear, but I like to check to make sure I have the tights and camisoles I reach for more frequently during the colder months. Yes, it’s definitely time for a fall and winter undergarment essential refresh.
If you check out my Spring Undergarment Refresh from earlier in the year, you’ll see that this fall and winter collection is definitely different. I need different types of undergarments and I’ve added more winter appropriate hosiery, too. Let’s start with undergarments (although there really is some overlap, too).
Fall & Winter Undergarments
Especially this fall and winter I’ve added a different bra option. Instead of needing a strapless or racerback bra, I’m opting to add a wireless bra to my collection. I already have this wireless bralette for wearing around the house with loungewear. I absolutely love it and wear it frequently. (Actually, I have two!) But I’m adding this Embraceable Wireless Bra for days when I want a little more shape, but I still don’t want the underwire. (Keep in mind that I am barely a B cup.) If you need more support, but also want to try a wirefree bra for home, you might want to check out the Embraceable Full Coverage Wireless Unlined Bra.
1) Vanishing Edge Microfiber w/lace high leg panties// These are the only undies I wear. They absolutely prevent panty lines with even the snuggest fitting ponte knit pants or leggings. I prefer the high leg panties. But they come in other silhouettes as well. You can check out the other fits (bikini, briefs, etc.) here.
2) SPANX Thinstincts High Waist Shaper Shorts // These are a necessity when wearing closefitting sweater dresses.
3) Embraceable Push Up Lace Trim Bra // This is the bra I wear most days and absolutely every day when I get out of the house. I’m a firm believer in keeping “the girls” up when you’re trying to look your very best. Honestly, some good underwire and a little push up can make us older gals look five years younger. I choose this bra because it includes the push up contour cups (aka a little padding). If you are more endowed and don’t require that, I’d suggest you check out Soma’s other offerings for the bra that best works for you. I’ve also had readers say they’ve had great luck with True & Co bras.
4) Embraceable Wireless Bra // Like I said, as we continue through this pandemic, I’m choosing to add the Embraceable Wireless Bra for another stay-at-home option with a little more shape, but still no wire.
6) stretch cami (size up) // I have several of these stretch camis in my closet year round (yes I hang them for some reason??? I guess so I can see them easily), but I tend to reach for them more in the winter. I like wearing one of these under a pullover sweater for both comfort and warmth. You can find similar camis at Target here for a more economical option.
7) half slip by Commando // I love the raw cut edges of this half slip, which cut back on bulk and create a smoother fit. I find that a half slip like this is a necessity when wearing skirts with tights in the fall and winter, especially corduroy or wool skirts. For a more economical option, check out this Vanity Fair half slip at Macy’s.
Fall & Winter Hosiery
Next let’s consider hosiery. I definitely change up my socks, hose and tights in the fall and winter. I also find this is a good time to add some thermal underwear if needed.
1) Hanes Cushioned Crew Socks // These Cushioned Crew Socks are certainly nothing to look at, but they keep my feet and ankles warm when I’m wearing joggers or sweats. I’m also prone to put them on with my bedroom slippers when I’m just hanging out at home in jeans. They’re also available in white.
2) Hanes Cushioned Ankle Socks // Still, I tend to exercise in these during the fall and winter. I don’t like the feel of the higher crew socks bunched up around or under my leggings. So I reach for these Cushioned Ankle Socks when running or getting in a weight training workout. They’re also available in white.
3) Ribbed Slouch Crew Boot Socks // I definitely like having a few pairs of these Boot Socks on hand during the fall and winter. These work well under most all of my boots. But I also opt for crew or trouser socks sometimes, too.
4) Heat Holders Lite Solid Thermal Socks // I don’t actually own any of these yet, but I have my order in. I think these Heat Holders Lite Solid Thermal Socks may be a necessity for outdoor activities this fall and winter. And I love that these look trim and feminine. They’re available in an assortment of colors.
5) Talbots Melange Trouser Socks // You can get cheaper socks for sure, but I really like the quality and fit of these Melange Trouser Socks by Talbots. I’m hard on socks in the winter and fall, so I like to have at least a few pair that are good quality and I can count on holding up. Check your socks for heel and toe wear! Now is the time to purge and add new ones that will endure this season. By the way, when you want something a little thinner, I like these from Target. These regular crew socks from Target are also good socks.
6) Cuddl Duds ClimateRight Thermal Underwear // I think Cuddle Duds does thermal underwear best of anyone. I purchased my similar thermal underwear when I backpacked part of the Appalachian Trail several years ago, and they served me well. I’ve included Cuddl Duds Thermal tops in the shopping widget below.
7) Hue Opaque Tights // I am consistently guilty of thinking I have tights in my drawer only to discover that I don’t…just when I need them! So this year I’ve already added new tights in the colors I need most frequently: navy, black and brown. I got my navy tights from J.Jill and am very happy with them. But I opted for the black and espresso brown tights from Hue at Target.
If you need thermal tights, and I know some of you do prefer them, I suggest these Vero Monte fleece-lined tights. They have great ratings on Amazon.
8) Donna Karan the Nudes Control Top Pantyhose // In the past (when I lived in Arizona and elsewhere) I didn’t wear hose in the winter or any other time. But now that I’m in Ohio, I’m opting to add nude hose to the line-up for winter dresses. And it’s not just because it’s cold. I just don’t think my legs look as pretty as they once did, so I’m adding these Donna Karan the Nudes Control Top Pantyhose to my hosiery drawer. I definitely recommend a very sheer nude hose if you do opt to wear them. And I’m hoping that these Control Top Pantyhose will offer me enough support that I won’t need to wear the Spanx above.
Do you have the undergarment essentials you need for fall and winter?
Shop the Post
I’ve created a shopping widget with all of the items pictured and mentioned above, but I’m also including other options here. These and the links above are all affiliate links. If you shop through them I potentially earn a commission on any purchases, but at no additional cost to you. I work hard to try to find you the best prices available. Thank you for supporting my work by shopping my links. I appreciate you.
Remember, most everything in the shopping widget is available in other colors, too. So click through for more options.
Don’t Miss a Post:
If you like what you’re seeing here at Dressed for My Day, I invite you to subscribe to my email list. You can receive an email each time I post (about 6 times weekly) or just on Saturdays. You choose! But you’ll also receive the password to open up all the subscriber freebies I offer.
Blessed for My Day
We can trust Jesus with our salvation. I love that He has not just saved me, but He has initiated a covenant relationship with me. Because of the blood of Jesus Christ, my sins are washed away and forgiven, so I can have an ongoing, permanent and growing relationship with my Creator. You can, too.
But that’s not the end of the blessing. I have entered into this relationship and I am obligated to follow Jesus, live for Him. But if I fail (and I do) He does not. He has taken responsibility for keeping this relationship intact regardless of me. He will chase after me if I wander off, pursue me if I get lost and gently restore me if I fall. He will not let me go. Praise the Lord!
“All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.” ~ John 6:37-40